Wednesday 28 November 2012

Miroslaw Balka at Scrap Metal


Heaven
October 27 – March 30 2013
Scrap Metal Gallery

Note: This is my last blog from Toronto, I’m back from travelling now and I’ll be posting London shows by the end of the week.

Approaching Scrap Metal 
I’m starting to think that some majority of cool contemporary art is to be found in the most unassuming of back alleyways. This also probably accounts for the delight I feel when discovering world-class work in a back enclosure a few streets off of definitely-not-in-the-least-bit-swank Lansdowne Avenue in Toronto.

I’m speaking of Scrap Metal, the art foundation set up to show work from the collection of Samara Walbohm and Joe Shlesinger. The exhibition on now is entitled Heaven and it’s an immersive installation by the Polish artist Miroslaw Balka. The last time I saw an installation by Balka was in 2010 at the Tate Modern, and in my head, I’m quietly reeling (Tate Britain to tiny alleyway in Toronto!) The scope and scale are tremendously different of course, but all this makes me excited for what’s happening in Canada.

Heaven is composed of 68 lengths of twisted Perspex coated with a colour-tinted reflective coating. They have been suspended at various heights throughout the space, in an orderly but rather ad hoc way, with simple pieces of fishing line holding each in place.

The rods are quiet and glistening and startlingly elegant. As I step into the space I notice that the minute air currents generated by my movement have started the plastic hypnotically twisting, the effect of which is either beautiful and dazzling, or borderline cheesy holiday mall  decoration.





Caught in the reflection

Stepping nearer to one of the pieces, I notice that my now golden reflection has been strangely rotated 90 degrees. I have the impression of constant small movements and sparkles of light throughout the space, and the Perspex strands starts to feel vaguely disorienting as the optical illusion of each twist gives the impression of corkscrew rising and falling to a silent rhythm.

The nature of this feeling evoked by the movement and the glitter and the way the work fills the space is rather unobtrusive and non-specific. I imagine it would be very easy to spend time with this work, and bask in its small, measured movements and dream-like atmosphere. I thought of party streamers, giant icicle decorations, wind chimes and all sorts of benign and pretty things. This is not the usual territory of Balka though, and sure enough there is a twist in the story, which comes in the form of the explanation.

This ‘heavenly’ work is actually composed of 68 rods which ‘suggests the difference in years from when the Nazi’s introduced the “final solution” for European Jews to when Balka created this work’.

Oh my. How does one assimilate such a piece of information? The installation goes from a rather gentle aesthetic experience to one tinged with uncertainty and apprehension. And I think the real heart of the work is in this sudden switch, this overturning of initial impressions through knowledge, where perception is (literally) turned on its side.

What one once saw as a peaceful place becomes filled with dread and immediately there arises a powerful sense of guilt. You were ignorant, you did not know, you did not realize, you were charmed by the simple beauty, and you were even playing amongst this memorial to death and destruction…where is your humanity?

I’m remembering now some key bits of information from Balka’s biography. He is only in his mid-fifties, not even alive when the holocaust happened, and many years shy of this grim anniversary, as well as being non-Jewish, however his entire body of work is heavily immersed in the history of his place of birth. There is constant reference to the savage destruction and painful memories of a past that was not ‘his’ but is inescapably his.

The world moves on from even the most painful things, it is just the way it goes. But in Balka’s work you get the sense that the residues of the past, and the stories that our ancestors tell us, persist - across generations and far beyond their origin. I find myself thinking ‘if only this were a thing whose beauty could just be enjoyed’. But it is not so simple, and as a viewer I suspect that the artist wants us to feel how, for him, ‘heaven’ has become impossible. Under the weight of guilt even the most beautiful things are crushed.


No comments:

Post a Comment