Tuesday 16 October 2012

Peter Doig at Michael Werner Gallery


27 September - 22 December

New Paintings
Michael Werner Gallery, Mayfair
22 Upper Brook Street
www.michaelwerner.com

I've come up the heavy dark oak staircase, after pushing through a heavy dark alarmed and ornamented metal door, and in this transformed old Mayfair mansion I hear the soft accent of a dealer telling some collectors: ‘Oh, there’s smaller ones upstairs’. Clever, I think, this blonde, congenial guy is really business-minded.





It’s a gorgeous early autumn morning in London and warm sunlight comes streaming in through large floor-to-ceiling windows. But I'm feeling absolutely cold and numbed by the paintings. What were they about? I'm hard pressed to describe a direction or tone to the work, besides the fact that it seemed focused on a sense of line, shape, colour and repetition of motifs. These are, however, formalist qualities, and what I've always valued about Doig in the past has been the fact that the paintings have surpassed ‘mere’ technical proficiency and felt more significant, more full with emotion and revealing of profound symbolisms, even possessing an otherworldly quality.





Where are the guts, the heavy atmospheres, the sense of being able to feel the very air of the scene? I long to be able to step into these scenes of strange nostalgia, entranced by the heady sense of place. There is a meandering use of painterly skill in composition and shape here, but these works lack conviction, urgency and mysticism.

I guess with great painters come great expectations. And why not? If you believe that art matters to the world, then we have to be severely disappointed when confronted with evidence to the contrary. 




Smaller works on paper in upstairs space

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Jessica, these works don't seem to have the same glowing mysticism of his earlier work. What I have always admired in Doig's paintings is his union of rawness + layers of laborious handling, which complicates them. These pieces seem to fall a bit "thin" in that sense, raw without the same lingering investment... Maybe I'll have to go and see them for myself and decide! I must say, the works on paper look a bit goofy clustered in the shiny silver frames. But, I do love Doig's work, he's still got his style. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete